Thursday, January 22, 2009

Catching on to this "hope" business

So I decided to wait until today to blog for the week, because it's Blog for Choice day today. I know it's American (the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade), but I'm feeling somewhat generous of spirit towards America lately so I feel ok about partaking in this.

This year's question is: What is your top pro-choice hope for President Obama and/or the new Congress?

First of all, let me say how awesome it is to be able to write President Obama. Again, I'm not American, but there's no denying that the decisions of the US government affect us, as they do the world. Maybe even more than the decisions of our own government, in some areas. And, idealistic as it sounds, I believe the struggles of American women for access to reproductive health care are our struggles too.

So my wish for the new US administration is that President Obama fulfills the promises he made to NARAL and Planned Parenthood during his campaign, and also that he is able to undo some of the damage done by the last administration - let's get rid of some ridiculous restrictions like making women look at ultrasounds, and parental notification laws.

Most of all, I hope President Obama is able to recognize that the abortion issue is a symptom of a larger problem. I hope he works on ensuring all children have good, comprehensive sex education. I hope he helps to make birth control free and easily accessible. I hope he puts more funding into support for single parents, daycare, prenatal care, afterschool programs. I hope Canada follows his good example.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I sure hope this new administration gets their act together and starts recognizing queer people as people. Right fucking now, please.

I am cautiously optimistic about President Obama. More optimistic than I am about our current idiot government.

Clinic on Tuesday was ok. The protesters have been very vocal lately. Maybe they know the province is going to lose their appeal, and Dr. M. is going to wipe the floor with them in court. I hope.

2 comments:

JJ said...

Great post, pedge! I hope you signed it into naral's blog for choice list.

The Pedgehog said...

Sure did JJ! Thanks for reminding me though - I forgot to snag that sweet graphic.