Friday, November 5, 2010

STFU Remix

Here's a little tidbit that I wish had been given more play in the media: Nancy Ruth talked about how she told everyone to STFU on abortion rights, and gives a very measured and well-thought-out semi-retraction. I also really want to read this book she contributed to.

I think it is easy to vilify politicians, obviously, even for one careless remark. And I think the tone of Ruth's warning was ill-advised, to say the least. But at the time I sort of defended what she said, and I stand by that. I think Ruth has been playing the game for a long time and momentarily forgot that the rest of us haven't been. I think she honestly didn't mean to silence us, although that was how it came across and that's not okay. I just feel like this apology of sorts, while a little late and clearly part of the publicity for the book, is heartfelt and encouraging. I wish it had received as much exposure as the original remark did.

No comments: